I have been talking about writing about coffee shops on Maui for a couple weeks now (maybe more). I had a draft but just couldn’t find the time to finish it. Well, today is the day! Why? Because it is National Coffee Day. So, finished or not, I am going to publish and share this today and I will just continue to update it as I get more info on (and experience with) the coffee stores on Maui. Please feel free to help me finish this post through the comment section. Help me describe these coffee shops)
When you read this post, some of you may be surprised by the number of local coffee shops options you have here on Maui. Keep in mind that what I am listing here are the local businesses. In addition to this, there are also many Starbucks and Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf around Maui. Yes, they are good too. However, if you are on vacation on Maui I suggest you try some of the local coffee shops too. They are really good, and as many Americans will say … they are “awesome” :).
I decided to divide them according to towns/regions. When you read this post I am thinking you would want to know what a good coffee place is close to where you are staying. So here they are: *please note they are not in any particular order or ranking.
1. Belle Surf Café – they serve handcraft drinks and homemade crepes. My daughter and I love to go there. It is located in the Aloha Marketplace in front of Kukui Mall. Has a Surf and Bohemian atmosphere. Open air. Great varieties of coffee and tea, and crepes are delicious!
2. Akamai Coffee – 100% Maui Coffee. Located at 1325 South Kihei Rd. Friendly staff. And on many Instagram posts, you’d see their famous rattan swing. Home of the Maui Mokka which won the Best Coffee in the State of Hawaii ward (2014) at the Hawaii Coffee Association cupping competition.
3. Lava Java Coffee Roasters on Maui – Located at the Kihei Kalama Marketplace across from Kalama Park.4. Café A La Plage – Cozy internet café at Dolphin Plaza across from Kamaole Beach II, famous for its bagels. They also serve soup.
5. Java Coffee Store – formerly the Coffee Store. They have good coffee and now also have fresh cold press.6. Piko Café Maui – Tucked in a corner next to Longs Drugs in Kihei – this café has a minimalist vibe. Serves good coffee, breakfasts and lunch. Aside from Coffee, they are also famous for their Parfaits (Ube is my favorite) and Italian Sodas.
7. S & Q Kiosk – This kiosk is in the corner of Rainbow Mall in Kihei. Lots of people stop by for coffee and shave ice.
8. Home Made Café – a local breakfast stop in Azekas Shopping Center in Kihei. Their coffee are probably not as good as the others but they have some of the best malasadas on Maui! Make sure you get freshly baked malasadas when you go there.
9. Kihei Café – not known for their coffee, known for their breakfast. However, there is this “Big Kahuna” coffe drink that is famous so I thought I’d include them here too.
10. Honolulu Coffee – Located at the Shops at Wailea. This is a local “farm to coffee shop”. Kona coffee farm located in the Big Island.
1. Sip Me – The new Sip Me in Kahului is the new fun place to go get coffee and tea! See video above for more info.
2. Maui Coffee Roasters – Fun Coffee Shop Vibes. I was told you must order Red Roosters.
3. Maui Coffee Attic – Cozy Coffee shop famous among locals. They serve the best UBE latte and UBE Scones! They have live music on Saturday nights and other events.
View this post on Instagram
4. Mill House Roasting Company – Located in the Maui Tropical Plantation. Their coffee beans are naturally grown on their property or sourced from distinguished farms on Maui. A full-service coffee house where they offer pour-over coffee, teas, pastries and more. They also offer chilled nitro cold brew coffee and kombucha on tap.
5. Wailuku Coffee – Operated by two mothers and an ‘ohana of excellent staff members, we have created a warm, friendly atmosphere and invite you to kick back and enjoy free wifi or stop in for a quick coffee.
6. Kaimana Coffee – A Food Truck that serves good coffee. Can be found at the Swap Meet on Saturdays.
7. Akamai Coffee Trailer – The original Akamai Coffee venue. It is a trailer parked at the parking lot of Home Depot.
1. Maui Grown Coffee – Ka’anapali Estate, once part of the Pioneer Mill sugar plantation, is a 500-acre coffee estate located 4 miles north of West Maui’s Lahaina Town. This is a great place to sample several different kinds of coffee and learn more about the local growing and roasting process. Located on Lahainaluna road beside the smokestack, Maui Grown Coffee Co. is your best bet for finding several varieties of Maui-grown coffee.
2. The Coffee Store in Napili
3. Bass Ass Coffee in Honokawai
4. Hawaiian Coffee Village
5. Castaway Café Maui
6. Espresso Italiano in Lahaina
7. Island Press Coffee
8. Slappy Cakes
As you can see above I am not familiar with the Westside. I will review that discussion on Visit Live Love Maui and will add it here, but for now, since it is getting late… I will publish this and will update later.
NORTH SHORE AND UPCOUNTRY
1. Grandma’s – All of Grandma’s Coffee is hand-picked, pulped, dried and roasted onsite, and you can even see the roaster, now over 100 years old, through a viewing window in the shop. Located in Upcountry Maui’s scenic town of Kula, Grandma’s has been a long-time breakfast, coffee and talk story staple for decades.
2. Paia Bay Café – After their original opening in 2011, Paia Bay Coffee took a brief hiatus to move into a new location in Paia Town, just beside the Chevron Station on the Makai side. Customers are welcomed in a cozy outdoor garden seating area, dotted with string lights, fruit trees, plants and simple table seating.
3. Sip Me – Aside from their Shop in Kahului, Sip Me can also be found on Makawao and Paia.
4. Alba’s Cuban Coladas – Not only is Alba’s one of the best places for coffee in Maui, it’s also the first place on Maui that offers a menu full of Cuban delights. Named after the owner’s Cuban abuela (grandma). Alba’s Cuban Coladas is a dedication to Cuban culture, a love for family and a satisfied belly.
5. CowGirlCoffeeMaui – A cute coffee truck in Makawao Ave that serves great espresso, coffees, teas and spicy hot drinks! I have not tried them yet but I found them on Instagram and they have positive reviews. I think we should try them too.
Some of the descriptions on this post are via Pride of Maui and Ohana Fun posts about Coffee Shops on Maui. Check them out too:
ANNOUNCEMENT: The Aloha 360 is also going to have a Podcast about Coffee Shops on Maui … so make sure you subscribe to them to get notification. I think it will be up next week ….
OK Maui Lovers … like what I said earlier, I will just continue to update it as I get more info on (and experience with) the coffee stores on Maui. Feel free to help me finish this post through the comment section buy suggesting write ups for the coffee shops especially the ones I am missing description for. Aloha and a hui hou!